A comment at the 9to5 Mac site seems to reveal some new iPod goodness debuting from Apple next week:
Take it with a grain of salt but this is what I heard from my cousin’s buddy who works at Apple in the iPod division. I have a hard time believing he would have revealed anything with Apple being exceptionally tight on privacy. While he declined to answer about some things, it appeared evident that the following are near certain items on the iPod Touch:
1) Black Gloss and White Gloss frames around the touch screen
2) iChat integration. My thought here is that AT&T makes money on SMS messages and did not want to compromise on having iChat on the iPhone for launch. Whether it has video or not would require a camera on the face of the iPod. Will require a mic for voip chat and Apple will be introducing the free voice connectivity between any new iPod Touch/iPhone
3) iTunes downloads over iPod using WiFi
4) TV Out (I have no idea why the iPhone doesn’t have this as it makes perfect sense in business walking into a meeting and connecting my iPhone/iPod to a projector and delivering a presentation. Keep in mind, Apple thought to get around the TV out issue on the iPhone with the ability to have Apple TV draw content off your iPhone or directly from the web via .Mac. Doesn’t help when you are traveling
5) Games will be released concurrently for iPod and iPhone
6) Weird speculation pegged the iPod/iPhone to act as a bluetooth controller for the Nintendo Wii as it has the proximity sensors in it to help with similar games
7) GPS unlikely as Apple will want to blow away existing GPS devices and will require additional programming time. Look for a coordinated effort with Google here.
I like that rumored name, iPod Touch. I can see Apple’s tagline for it:
Get Close To Your Music. Touch It.
Now You Can Touch Your Music
Get Touched By Your Music All Over Again
(Of course, we will see the sad Zune cultists come up with something pathetic: You Have To Be Touched To Buy An iPod.)